Monday, July 07, 2014

The Patch :: A bit of Green & Gold

This weeks the patch theme is your colours & celebration, which would normally suggests sporting club colours for an Australian, we are deep in the "real" football session at the moment, but I felt the our national sporting colours, green and gold would be a better choice, not that I'm following the soccer. I think the hockeyroos did good. In the back of my mind I remember that the colours are derived from the wattle, which does start to bloom this time of year, so I went in search of some and managed to find one brave young tree just starting to bloom. There are plenty of buds on the older trees so the bush should be a glow with yellow over the next few weeks.

The story of how these colours became official and in the public domain is interesting,

No comments: