Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Photographing Artwork with a Copy Frame (update)

IMGP2780Somewhere along the line (with window 10 updates I suspect) lightroom became very flackey in tethered mode (at first I suspected the canon drivers, but installing updates just made the problem worse). Thus the benefits of my repurposed copy stand connected to the computer evaporated. It was back to clicking the shutter button. However I soon discovered using my little Olympus, with the tilt screen set up at a suitable viewing angle  could let me regain a little of the productivity. I could use the touch screen to both select focus and/or trigger the shutter.  So it was back to -

  1. Position the art work.
  2. Check the screen, perhaps refocus...
  3. Tap the screen again to take a photo.
  4. onto the next artwork…

Still considerably faster than scanning.

I like to use an mid grey background (matte board), to avoid the colour and/or tone biasing the artwork (particularly useful in preserving the white of the paper in sketches)

IMGP2782Using the OI.share app I can also set up my phone, Using remote control to get a live view from the camera, set all the key controls, focus and take the shot. All that is required is to set up the camera to connect to my phone via WiFi. I loose the screen view on the back of the camera but can see everything on the phone. I’m not sure it is any faster than just using the touch screen but it does remove the possibility of moving the copy stand as I tap the screen. It is also a bit of geeky fun, think of it as wireless tethering to your phone.

One big advantage of using OI.share on your phone is you can then post the captured image directly to instagram from the camera (and/or go through snapseed if you want to incorporate edits )


No comments: