Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Co-incidence or Urban Myth?

"Google recognizes posts created from ChatGPT and downgrades them in search"

I've seen similar comments on several Instagram reels (I'd never followed them by the way they were pushed at me), google news, youtube and a couple of blog posts. Sounds like a bit of viral hype/myth to me but thought I would check my blog stats.

Well isn't that a coincidence?

I still doubt that things are moving that fast, and are so competitive. Maybe they are. There does seem to be a race to claim technical dominance of the ChatAI and AIart fields. Also I'm not sure I yet trust OpenAI to be driving the developments, there are the issues of secrecy, open letters by many important people and experts to have a pause in building of bigger models and not forgetting the whole issue of the ethics of scraping the uncensored net for data. Finally, it is logical that having the training of these deep networks based on these unverified sources include all the bias and unfettered untruths that are increasing within the unrestricted websites and social media, with many of those publishing "content" hiding behind anonymity, What should we expect?

Personally, I'm not thrilled that Google might be one potentially trying to dominate yet another field/service that so many people are flocking towards. Google has an extensive history of introducing new things and then killing them, They prefer to call it deprecation.

Anyway I'm suspicious it might be true and I rather let those interested find my thoughts rather than have to get through an unnecessary layer of possible google "censorship". So no more blog posts written (or even reviewed) by ChatGPT. I'll still be investigating how artists and photographers might use and be affected by this technology. 

So, if you are interested in my opinion please stick around.

No comments: