Monday, August 22, 2022

Out with the Old

 And nothing New.

I haven't actually touched the Air-Gapped Archive in over 2 years. It seemed a good idea at the time, but I am very cautious about computer viruses and malware, also I see hardware failures as a much bigger issue. No point having a theoretically nice archive but finding the hardware is out of date, not working and/or unfixable just when you need it.

So I've dusted off the little netbook, and its still running Linux fine. It has no trouble recovering everything from the Stora. Getting it set up on my Microsoft based LAN was easy but not exactly transparent.

Looking around there are plenty of options to create a new NAS, but I will start with the Open Source TrueNAS.  Most folk will recognize that it used to be FreeNAS, which seems to be well considered and still widely used. It seems to have a nice simple UI and hopefully will run just like my Stora, only now I will not be mirroring by working directories. Instead storing my complete photo archive on larger external USB drives attached to this NAS. I do expect the performance accessing the archive to be a lot slower. However I hope to make up for this with better organization.

No comments: