Thursday, February 12, 2009

The super wide angle lens

IMGP6761 I know I have mentioned this before, but it is worth mentioning again in the context of capturing “big” landscapes. The vantage point I had at the roaring meg bend in the kawarau river drops off down into the river and the hill towered about me. Something impossible to capture, even with my 8mm lens.

roaring meg collage

So I took a whole series of views, more or less in three passes but with a lot of overlap, and many not in order. I was surprise autostitch didn’t complain. The results illustrate the usual perspective that mutli-image stitched panoramas give much more “realistic” perspective (ie closer to what a human experiences) than any fisheye lens, which might cover a similar width of view.

ROARING MEG pano  big-1

No comments: