Friday, July 21, 2006

The story behind the photo

My bag @ last
I realize the is a very late submission for Friday Photo's topic Remarkable, but i have been waiting all week to take it

See where this picture was taken.

The story begins when I started to fly from Melbourne to Lihir Island in Papua New Guinea. At Melbourne is was noticed the plane had been dinted by the air bridge, and there was a long delay whilst the damage was inspected and repaired. I had resolved to miss my connecting flight in Brisbane but due to fog in Sydney and general chaos in Brisbane I a mange to catch my now delay flight to Port Moresby. It seems my bag was off loaded, somewhere and didn’t make it to Port Morseby till Monday, but customs would not clear it because it was locked, On Tuesday I discovered this and said they (customs) could break the locks and inspect the bag. They decided they needed to have some one from the airline watch them do it, but he apparently did turn up till after the flight to lihir had left, further he left the bag at the international terminal. that was on Tuesday, it took till Thursday to make the 400 meter journey to the domestic airport and catch a charter flight to lihir. After 5 days in the same cloths, in a very humid tropical climate, the novelty had work thin.

Rush?
I got to the airport about 15 minutes after the plane has landed last night and everyone was packing up to go home. But there it was "my bag" waiting patiently on the side of the road.. And somewhat amusingly one of the tags on it says RUSH (Sunday. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday... that some rush!)

But today I do have fresh cloths and deodorant.

(So there may be a moral here I think if you fly to Bali and don’t lock your bag you will probably end up in jail, where as in new Guinea if you lock your bag they will just keep your bag!)

1 comment:

Maggid said...

Perfect! Every traveler gets a turn at stuff like this - your story . . . . perfect.

Thank you