Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Clash of the autos

I spent a bit of time looking around in all the software I had on my notebook looking for anything marked automatic that was a "fixer", "correction" or "balance" of any kind. I'm not going to make any judgement though, that is for you to do. I trust my labeling, just wave your mouse over any image to see my label, will give you enough information to figure out which tools were used in each package. Remember you can also click on an image to see a higher resolution version of it.

Thumbnails Plus: Image/Process/General Enhancement Photo Impact: Format/Auto Process/Hue & Saturation

Abobe: Quick Fix/Color/Auto Color Photo Impact: Format/Auto Process/Brightness & Contrast

HP Image Zone Express: Fix/Auto Fix Olympus Camedia: Edit/Filter/Instant Fix

Abobe: Quick Fix/Brightness/Auto Color Corel PhotoBook: Map/Tonal Balance

Corel PhotoAlbum: right click mouse/Auto Correction Abobe: Quick Fix/Brightness/Auto Level


Corel Photo Paint: Image/Adjust/Auto Equalization Thumbnails Plus: Image/Process/Autocolor Balance

A couple of notable surprises were that Jasc Photoshop Pro and HP Photo & Image, the bundle of software that came with my printer, don't actually have anything labeled automatic. They do however have lots of sliders that do lots of adjusting, just not automatically for a novice user.

No comments: