Sunday, May 20, 2018

Archive Obsession Three :: Building a Cloud Archive

cloud, images iconThere are a multiplicity of clouds services offered at the moment. It’s a bit scary because it would take ages to properly access them now. So this is a relatively incomplete list, but it is enough to get me started.

  • Free “generic” Cloud Service
    • Drop Box
    • Google Drive
    • One Drive
  • Photo Focused Services
    • Google Photo (its free and uses Google Drive)
    • Flickr (it can be free)
    • Smug Mug (starts at $3/month)
    • Adobe/Creative Cloud (starts at $/10)
  • DYI Cloud Backup/Archiving
    • Back Blaze
    • Carbonite
    • Amazon S3, Glacier

It’s a no brainer to start with a test of the concept on the free services, especial as I already have experience work with all three. Not as a backup oriented services but I have used Drop Box as a way to automatically off load photos from my phone and also exchange big data sets with co-workers, when email struggles to handle the large files. Google Drive I use for blogger photos and as a cloud place to store training material and key documents while I was travelling. One Drive has a bit of a checked history (mainly because Microsoft was changing things a lot for a while there), the service looks nice and stable now.

The last two tiers I will probably leave to evaluate till much later down the track. I need to get comfy with the services I know how to use.

                    box, drop, media, online, social icon        drive, gdrive, google icon        circle, colored, gradient, media, one drive, social, social media icon

So beginning today I’m building cloud archive on all three Dropbox. Google Drive & OneDrive. I’ll let you know in a month or so which, if any suits by archiving requirements

No comments: