Monday, August 18, 2014

ThePatch :: Kitchen/Liquid & a Bit of Science

_IGP5885-MOTIONThis weeks theme for The Patch is Kitchen/Liquids and I realised there was the perfect opportunity to combine a quintessential kitchen item (the kitchen sink) with a bit of science, specifically the Coriolis effect. The theory really applies to large scale fluid movements of the earths surface due to the rotation of the earth (ie weather and ocean currents) but it is widely held view that toilet and sinks flush anti-clockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere, which they often do, (but not always, read the wiki article in the link above for more details). I first tried just water, and it was in fact clockwise but subtle and  difficult to photograph. I then added some soap bubbles, better but still under whelming and finally resorted to some burst mode images and a google+ *motion autoawesome (shown above right) Ok it is not awesome because it has combined across some burst sessions. Such is life.

coriolis0001So it was back to the drawing board. The idea was to have a series of almost self reference style repeated images with a slightly rotated positioning between each photo. I like the idea of letting each outer image becoming a little paler on each step.spin coriolisThen I wanted the innermost image to be moving, just enough to see the rotation. All sound simple enough but I’ve been down many dead ends and learnt a lot, but it all takes time and the deadline for posting is approaching, I’m happy with the outer spiral and using white borders and I am starting to get the overall design to work but I just can’t figure out how to get the inner photo to work as an animated gif.

So I’ve run out of time and I’ll have to compromise, just using a very cropped version of my burst mode photos to recreated the animated gif. At least it does show my kitchen sink is happy draining clockwise.



No comments: