Monday, July 22, 2024

My Most Portable Sketching Setup

One of the primary objectives with my art gear that I took to Queensland was figuring out the minimum I required when painting or sketching. A significant oversight was that I forgot to pack a small sketchbook, so I had to purchase an A5 Visual Diary at the airport. I managed to find one with 110gsm Cartridge paper which I figured would be okay for pencil and pen, but maybe a bit thin for watercolour.

It was just the right size, combined with my dot chart, a water brush, and sometimes a gel pen. I actually did a lot of sketching with this. Anyone else who has tried sketching people at the beach knows that no sooner do you start the sketch than the people move away, stand up, change positions, or go home. Capturing people on the beach can be a fun challenge, but you probably only have a short time to get the basic gestures and textures.


What I found is that these sketches could capture a lot more life in the figures than a photograph. If I was careful how much water I used with the water brush, I had no problems with wrinkling the page as I was painting, so decent-weight cartridge paper is probably okay for this size sketchbook if you're just using it to collect some gestural pictures quickly.

I really appreciate the dot chart on the CD laid out like a colour wheel. On this particular dot chart, I may have overdone the number of colour dots. It's easy to mix the colours you want onto the paper as you go, and I really didn't need that many colours - going back to the 6 basic families is probably okay, possibly with one or two darks and an earth colour.


Creating the dot chart like this is both practical and very cheap and won't discourage me from experimenting. So I've already started making up a few, -CD colour wheel dot charts to start very minimal sketching kits based on a water brush and a small collection of pencils and/or pens.I have a few water brushes, but I really liked the Pentel waterbrush with the bulbous water barrel - it's easy to load with water, always has a decent flow, and the bristles are easy to clean. On the trip I also bought a cheap set of water-soluble graphite pencils in two grey shades and black, and I liked them. Perhaps I'll look out for more upmarket suppliers, like Derwent.. I also like gel pens, particularly the ones with soluble ink.I'm okay with just using the cheaper spiral-bound A5 visual diaries, as long as they have thicker pages (e.g., 120 gsm) rated for mixed media, which should mean they can take a little water media if I want colour.. My intention is to have several of these kits easily accessible everywhere so there is never an excuse not to stop and sketch - e.g., in my studio, office, car, art bag, and perhaps even in the back pocket of my camera bag.

Plenty of fun to come!

No comments: