Saturday, March 23, 2024

Spambots be gone


Has anyone else discovered a sudden massive increase in the number of views being recorded on Blogger (this site)?  I was rather pleased with myself struggling to over half a million views over the past 20 years. Yes I have been using Blogger for 20 years! However, in the past month the pageviews have risen by over 100,000. Over the past week the recorded pageviews are between 2,000 & 3,500   per day. but actual pageviews, even most recent posts, seldom exceed 10 views per day.


I do suspect bad actors, possible spambots, content scrapers or maybe a hacking attempt gone wrong. I really can not see what might be achieved by such an activity, perhaps other than wasting bandwidth (which I can not see evidence of). Is it part of giving a legitimate address for a phishing scam to fool validity checks?

Ok now I have noticed. Do I try to inform Google?  Yes, but I have gotten nowhere again. Have you ever tried to contact good with a problem? y=You will know what I'm talking about. Is is another massive "I don't care" / #FAIL google!


So what can I find out about these extra views (which I might just call an attack). Well it must be automated to reach that number. Its seems to be totally originating from Hong Kong, using apple MacIntosh and Chrome, the refereeing URL being reported as other by Google Analytics. The biggest puzzle is my blogger site is recording these extra views but my actual page view seem to be remaining normally low. Are these numbers even real? Should I be concerned, given the location these pageviews seem to be originating?


No comments: