Saturday, August 12, 2023

Is it me or AI that’s improving" ?

 Painting Granitic Rocks

This week's Wednesday Wanderers was painting a vista on the East Coast of Tasmania, a little channel of granitic rocks against some silhouetted trees reflected in the water. I was trying out a different Art Spectrum watercolour paper, 300gsm but 20% cotton and heavily textured. Didn’t really like it at first, unfortunately it’s also very absorbent so I ran out of time to wait for it to dry during the session. I returned to it yesterday, adding a little bit of detail, some deep tone and colour. It turned out OK (see below).

As has been my way of late I have also checked out what AI might make of my style. I did a “sty;e transfer” on night café studio, which trains on my artwork (above) and applies that to the originl photo. The results were pretty good (see below). Still a couple of tiny “distractions”. So the question is “Have I improved or has AI?” Perhaps its both, especially in the rendering of the granite boulders.

Pushing my luck I decided to also do some generative Ai testing using the prompt- "bright blue sky granite rocks silhouetted trees with strong reflections watercolor" 

So the score (according to me).

Me  1/1           my Style Transfer   0.95/1         Generative AI   0.2/3


How would you score the images?


No comments: