Monday, March 13, 2023

Some more thoughts and experience with deep learning of neural networks

This was initially a postscript to the previous article about Luminar. I’m a classic dyslexic, and struggle to write still, even using a computer my typing text is a bit of a struggle and has red underlined words on most lines, punctuation is missing and I might waffle on a bit. So I have been looking at getting GhatGPT to edit my words. I submitted yesterday's draft post with the prompt rewrite for a blog post. And rewrite it did

“Luminar, the popular photo editing software, has come a long way since its inception. ….. They were the original developers of Nik Collection and Snapseed, two of the most popular post-processing tools in the apple market.”

“Nevertheless, Skylum's commitment to innovation is admirable, and it will be interesting to see what new AI iterations of Luminar will come out in the future.”

There was quite a bit of positive promotion of the wonders of Luminar and how thrilled I was with it elsewhere in the text returned. If you read my post I wasn’t exactly thrilled. although I do use the software regularly. Its enthusiasm was really stretching the truth, and I only used the ChatGPT output as a guide for my post in a few places. This really bought home that you must be sceptical of this AI and fact-checking its output is super important. 

  1. There is an obvious conspiracy theory that big companies are already paying OpenAI for good reviews whenever specific brands, company names or keywords are used. I do doubt this is the case yet (and sorry I even mentioned it). 
  2. A more likely explanation is the blogging world, and specifically “influencers” have filled the space with very favourable reviews and self-promotions.  And stuffed the “content” with relevant #hashtags. These have totally overwhelmed honest reviews or news and as a result the deep learning has been trained on a very positively biased data set. Ok that is exactly what the net is like these days so why am I surprised? 

Just be careful what you believe coming from AI, if you even know it was AI generated.

I’ll also be careful not to ask ChatGPT to rewrite in the future.

No comments: