Monday, January 02, 2023

If a picture is worth 1000 words…

What value will a picture have if it's based on 10, or maybe 100 words?

I’m a chronic dyslexic and words don’t flow easily for me. However, I had decided it was about time to update my Instagram profile picture (it still had me behind a COVID Mask). So why not try and find what Stable Diffusion (a leading text-to-image AI system) had to offer.

Prompt: "Profile artwork for instagram, using watercolour markers"  7 words

Plus a starter image, a head and shoulders photo of me. Hmmm, I’m not a girl and my eyes are roughly the same size. So it didn’t really take much notice of my picture perhaps I need to tell it I have grey hair and a beard

Prompt: "Portrait artist, gray hair goatee beard Profile artwork for instagram, using watercolour markers head and shoulders" 16 words

I add a few negatives  with a -0.3 weight to discourage the process going there

"ugly, scary, poorly drawn face, out of frame, cut off" 10 more words, 26 in total

A mighty improvement and without a starter photo this time BUT how are these an artist and blue rinse in my hair? Seriously?

The last image set was choosen with the same starter but used the additional modifiers (artistic portrait preset image). It added a lot of words some for a positive match some negative, for a total of 88 words

Prompt: "Portrait artist, gray hair goatee beard Profile artwork for instagram, using watercolour markers head and shoulders portrait, 8k resolution concept art portrait by Greg Rutkowski, Artgerm, WLOP, Alphonse Mucha dynamic lighting hyperdetailed intricately detailed Splash art trending on Artstation triadic colors Unreal Engine 5 volumetric lighting” 56words

"ugly, tiling, poorly drawn hands, poorly drawn feet, poorly drawn face, out of frame, extra limbs, disfigured, deformed, body out of frame, blurry, bad anatomy, blurred, watermark, grainy, signature, cut off, draft" 32 negative words

Well it’s a lot more realistically rendered, but still poorly cropped (head chopped up and at best a single shoulder, etc… etc and... Why is this an artist? So do I need to craft a longer more descriptive prompt, or just run a lot more prompts?

The images above have been created on Nightcafe using Stable Diffusion interface

It actually took less time to have a play with my ecoline watercolour brush pens and a pitt pen than to assemble the above.


So my new Instagram profile picture is handdrawn, I trust you understand why.


PS I must humbly apologise to @Greg Rutkowski (I hadn't noticed he was mentioned in the final prompt, hmm the problems with presets) and I do understand why he is not happy.

No comments: